27 Dec 24 Things 2014 Has Taught Me
The sound of birds tjirping as if they wouldn’t have a voice tomorrow, a dog occasionally barking, a light breeze of wind through the many plants and trees….I look outside and I see the sun and I can feel the wind on my skin…yes, I’m home! Checking in from Paramaribo, Suriname, South America, where I was born and raised until 18.
As much as I am enjoying it now, this was the first time in my life that I actually dreaded going home. Since I’ve been living in the Netherlands, I’ve been going home for Christmas and New Year’s every year, because my parents still live in Suriname and it’s always nice to be together during the Holidays. Every year when I had to go back to the Netherlands in January, I couldn’t wait until it was December again so I could go back home.
But this year, it was different. I think I’ve finally reached a point where I am content with the life I am living. I finally don’t have the need to “escape” to home. I didn’t want to go, because I didn’t want to leave my business to my partner alone. And I didn’t want to leave my partner, who is my partner in business, but also in life. Last year he came along with me, but this year things are too hectic, which is a good thing of course, it means things are going very well…But I was so sad to go.
Now I’m here and I am happy to be home. I am enjoying the little things mostly, like the weather and just being home, catching up with my mom and dad and some friends who live here. Oh and the food, can’t forget the food! Especially the fruits and veggies, everything is so fresh and natural.
More than anything, I’ve learned this year that you have to find your happiness in the little things.
As I’ve mentioned in my latest post, we’ve learned a lot this year, it’s been full of great things and lots of growth, but we also made some less smart decisions that became wise lessons for us, business wise, but also in general. I’ve decided to put the things I’ve learned this year in this last blog for 2014, mostly for myself, but maybe it’s a little help to you as well, a source of inspiration, to start the new year fresh and motivated. Some of them might be very obvious, but in practice they are often forgotten.
1. There is always, always, always something to be thankful for. Count your blessings, not your problems. Attitude of gratitude = the best attitude!
2. Always trust your intuition/gut feeling, it’s always right!
3. Business wise: Impulsive decisions can be good in the short term, but hurt you just as much in the long term.
4. If you already work 14 hours a day, 7 days a week like me, it’s not about working harder anymore, but about working more efficiently.
5. Believe more in yourself….You can do/be so much more than you think…All Limits are self-imposed!
6. Everybody pretends to be doing better than they actually are. The grass is always greener on the other side, don’t let this distract you from your goal. Focus on yourself.
7. Clear Communication & Good planning = More efficiency.
8. You’re only as important as your network.
9. Visualize, Visualize, Visualize! If you can dream it, you can do it!
10. Invest in yourself, whether it is by working/studying /exercising. Each minute that you invest in your own physical or mental well-being is a valuable investment that will definitely pay off. Try to learn something every day.
11. Love! Sometimes it’s easy to get carried away in your business or whatever it is that you are focused on. Don’t forget to enjoy some quality time with your loved ones (those that actually love and appreciate you).
12. Time is our most precious asset! Only invest your time in those that are worth it. Otherwise you lose, big time.
13. Walk your Talk, otherwise don’t talk at all.
14. Balance. Now this one is something I’m still not getting the hang of, but I really do hope to master in 2015. Balance is everything, if you are able to do it well; life becomes a lot easier and much more pleasant.
15. Set goals, but also lay out the steps to achieve them. A lot of people set goals, but have no idea on how to actually make them reality. It’s a step by step process.
16. Every time you were convinced you couldn’t go on, you did….The universe has a funny way of operating, but all you need to believe in, is that everything is going to be alright. So when things get tough, just hang on, keep going, keep fighting and don’t worry, everything is going to be amazing!
17. Trust the timing of your life. Everything happens for a reason. Accept, learn and go on.
18. No guts, no glory. Great things never come from comfort zones.
19. Sometimes you have to get knocked down lower than you’ve ever been to stand up taller than you ever where (Never a failure, always a lesson).
20. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity, find it!
21. To be able, at any moment sacrifice what you are, for what you will become.
22. It’s always impossible, until it’s done.
23. You’ve got to create your own luck.
24. She/He who dares, WINS.
Of course there is a lot more, but I consider these the most basic, fundamental and important. The rest is mostly in the same line of the above. Plus, we don’t have all day right!
Just like last year, my resolution is to keep on growing mentally, physically, spiritually…Just in every sense. Become smarter, better, stronger than I am now. And I want to love more, and give back more! What are your resolutions?
2013 was practice, 2014 was a warm-up, 2015 is Game time!
Thank you so much for following my life and experiences, I hope they have been and will continue to be an inspiration to your journey. Wishing you all the best in 2015!
Lots of love & Blessings,